|Hare & Hare, Landscape Architects|
Here Lies Kansas City by Wilda Sandy, Published by Bennett Schneider Inc., 1984
In 1896 these two melded when Sid Hare was appointed superintendent of Forest Hill cemetery. There for six years he lovingly sculpted the terrain’s rolling contours, designed curving roadways, laid native stone walls and planted hundreds of varieties of trees—making Forest Hill “more than just a monument field.”
Sid Hare had more sides than a diamond. From engineer to horticulturalist to amateur geologist was no stretch for his fertile imagination. For years he painstakingly unearthed, identified and catalogued upwards of 500 fossil remains from Kansas City buildings sites. And he also found time to be a avid armchair Egyptologist——working on the theory that within the Great Pyramid’s Secret Chamber would be found the Ark of the Covenant, the Golden Candlesticks and other sacred utensils.
In 1902 Sid Hare started his own consulting firm, and eight years later, he was joined by his son, S. Herbert, a landscape architect who had studied under Frederick Law Olmstead at Harvard. Thus Hare and Hare was born in 1910.
When Sid Hare moved to his country place in 1924, “Harecliff”, this 21-acre tract of wooded valley on Gregory boulevard near Blue Ridge, became his hobby. There he cultivated every weed and wild flower indigenous to Missouri. The Santa Fe Tail had passed across this refuge, and Care Spring where pioneers had refreshed themselves and their livestock lay just beyond. Hare venerated the history as much as the land.
Sid Hare was 78 when he died at Harecliff October 25, 1938. He came full circle. His deft touch began at Forest Hill cemetery. Now he and his partner-son, who died in 1960, lie buried there, not far form the site of the house occupied at 69th Street and Troost avenue during Sid Hare’s cemetery superintendency.